Every year for his birthday I tell Alex that I’ll make him whatever he wants. It’s hard since his birthday is so close to Christmas and we know there is a huge eating bonanza a few days away. I told him whatever he can dream up I’ll do my best to make it dairy free for him.
I came home from work and Alex told me that he wanted a Mississippi Mud Pie. He said that the internet told him it was a chocolate pie and he wanted to try it. I explained it was a pie with a chocolate pudding and a whipped cream topping. He said that it was up to me to make it dairy free.
It was easy enough to make the pudding with soy milk. The whipped cream is always a challenge. I made coconut whipped cream for the topping. It came out light and fluffy but it doesn’t do well once it’s actually on the pie. Next time I would serve it on the side instead.
The Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie I made a few months ago is similar but this recipe is a little better.
Alex loved the pie and he thought it was perfect. Happy Birthday hubby!
25 chocolate wafer cookies
1/2 cup pecan halves
4 tbs unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups milk (I used soy)
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 tbs unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
chopped pecans, for the garnish
- Make the crust. Preheat the oven to 375 F. In a food processor girnd the wafers and nuts until fine crumbs form. Add the melted butter and process. Press the mixture into a 9 inch pie plate. Refrigerate for 15 minutes and then bake for 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Make the filling. In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the milk. Cook over medium high heat, whisking constantly, until thick about 7 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs. Whisk the milk slowly into the egg mixture. Pour all the mixture back into the saucepan and whisk constantly until it comes to a boil about 1-2 minutes. Pour through a sieve and then whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust. Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the pudding and refrigerate for a minimum 4 hours.
- Right before serving make the topping. Beat the cream, vanilla and sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over the pie and sprinkle with nuts.
See Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie for dairy free topping (the recipe in that photo didn't come out but I have made it several times since).
Instead of pecans I used chopped hazelnuts
adapted from Martha Stewart’s Pies & Tarts