1 cup unsalted and shelled pistachios (roasted for 10 minutes at 350 F/180 C)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
Flour for dusting
1 block store bought puff pastry
6-8 apricots pitted and cut into slices
1 tbs cream
2 tbs raw sugar (or granulated if you don't have any)
1/4 cup apricot jam
1 1/2 tbs water
- In a food processor grind the nuts (save a few for sprinkling later) and sugar until fine. Add the butter and process until a paste forms. Add the whole egg, vanilla and salt and process again.
- Dust a surface lightly with flour and roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the puff pastry on top.
- Spread the paste evenly all over leaving three quarters an inch border. Fold the edges of the dough, use your index finger to make the pleats.
- Arrange the apricots in four rows. Alternate the directions the slices face. In a small bowl mix the egg yolk and cream together. Brush the mixture along the borders.
- Refrigerate the tart for 30 minutes to allow it to firm up. Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C and bake for 30-35 minutes until the fruit is soft and the pastry golden.
adapted from Martha Stewart’s Pie and Tarts