This is the first time I’ve made meringue from scratch. I intended to make macarons from Sweet Paris but the mixture was far too dry and they didn’t turn out well. Rather than attempting them again I decided to try something I’ve never made before.
I thought these dainty meringues sandwiches with a raspberry cream would be a good contrast to the ultra rich Toblerone Ice Cream I made earlier in the week.
The meringues came out ultra crispy on the outside and nice and chewy in the middle.
4 egg whites
120g caster sugar
1tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla
110g icing sugar
150g fresh raspberries
2 tsp caster sugar
125g white chocolate
60ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 150 C and lightly oil and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric whisk beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Continue to whisk, folding in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until the sugar is dissolved (test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers). Add the vanilla and vinegar and beat for about 1o minutes until smooth and glossy.
- Fold in the icing sugar. Dollop large spoonfuls of meringue onto the baking sheet 2 inches apart. Use the back of a spoon to swirl the tops.
- Place in the oven and reduce the temperature to 140 C and bake for 45 minutes, then turn off the oven open the door and leave for 15 minutes.
- Make the filling. Place the raspberries in the pan with the sugar and heat until the sugar dissolves. Pour through a sieve and put aside to cool.
- Finely chop the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl Heat the cream in a saucepan to a simmer and pour over the chocolate. Stir until smooth and stir in 2 tablespoons of raspberry puree.
- Set aside to cool. Once fully cooled sandwich with the meringues or drizzle over top.
adapted from Sweet Paris