After I read Miracle Pie I couldn’t stop thinking about banana cream pie! The main character in the novel, Katie, has weird pie related premonitions and can accurately make a pie to suit occasions before the event happens. The pies are never wrong. I couldn’t resist making a pie when I finished the book.
I’ve already packed up my pie dish so I made some banana pudding parfaits. Instead of vanilla wafers I used crushed up Oreos. When I was a kid I wasn’t very fond of pudding. It was always disgustingly lumpy. Since then no bake instant jello pudding has come along but I’m only lukewarm on the stuff.
I’ve become a little obsessed with making pudding from scratch and you’ll see some other pudding related recipes in the next few months. It also only requires a pot and spoon so it’s something I can make while I wait for my kitchen paraphernalia to make it across the Atlantic!
I based my parfait idea from Tidy Mom but used a homemade pudding from The Loveless Cafe and whipped up some fresh cream for the top. I made little parfaits and a few serving spoon bites but I think next time I would just layer everything in a big baking dish and serve up scoops to everyone.
1/3 cup cornstarch/cornflour
3 cups whole milk (I used skim)
8 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 of a vanilla bean
4-6 ripe bananas, sliced
20 Oreo Cookies
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup whipping or heavy cream
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Make the pudding. In a glass bowl whisk together the cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the milk and then the egg yolks. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan stir together the 2 1/2 cups milk and 3/4 cup sugar. Scrape in the vanilla beans from 1/3 of the pod. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then immedietly turn the heat down to low.
- Whisk in half of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture.Then whisk this into the hot milk mixture. Continue whisking and cooking for 1 minute (the pudding should bubble a little and become thick).
- Pour into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent skin from forming. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- In a food processor crush the Oreos and stir in the melted butter. Press this mixture into the bottom of your serving dish or spoon into the parfait glasses. Place the banana slices on top and spread the cooled pudding on.
- Make the whipped cream. Beat the cream, vanilla and sugar until stiff peaks form. Serve each scoop of pudding with a spoon of whipped cream.
adapted from Tidy Mom and Loveless Cafe