Kool Aid Pop Rocks MarshmallowsPosted by Cupcake Kelly on Mar 21, 2012 in Other Desserts | 1 comment
This is the second recipe from Marshmallow Madness that I made. Make sure to read my review of the book here. These marshmallows were absolutely amazing!
They’re just so fun! The Kool Aid gives them a great strong lime flavor and the Pop Rocks are an extra added surprise.
If you add Pop Rocks the marshmallows have to be eaten straight away. They will melt if left for too long. I cut only a few into star shapes and rolled them in candy. I cut the rest into squares and dunked them in the standard marshmallow coating.
1 packet unsweetened Kool Aid drink mix any flavor (I used lemon lime)
1/2 cup cold water
5 tsp unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup, divided
1/4 cup water
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar + 1/4 cup cornflour (whisked together in a small bowl)
4 packets Pop Rocks (I used watermelon)
- Spray an 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a small bowl whisk together the Kool Aid, cold water and gelatin. Let it get soft for 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan pour 1/4 cup of the corn syrup, water and salt. Over high heat bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until the temperature reaches 240 F.
- Pour the remaining 1/4 cup corn syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Microwave the gelatin mixture for 30 seconds and pour into the stand mixer bowl and turn the mixer to low.
- As soon as the syrup reaches 240 F slowly pour it into the mixer. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 5 minutes. Increase to medium high and beat for 5 minutes. Beat on the highest setting for 2 more minutes.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sift some of the marshmallow coating on top. Set in a cool dry place for 6 hours until set.
- Once set cut into squares or use a cookie cutter with cooking spray and cut star shapes. Roll the sides in pop rocks and dust the top and bottom with the marshmallow coating.
adapted from Marshmallow Madness