I had a go at making my own dairy free Nutella for my husband. It came out pretty good for a first try. My mini food processor wasn’t able to grind the nuts finely enough though so it ended up a bit thick.
I read somewhere that adding a teaspoon of sugar in the food processor can help with the grinding. Also make sure that the food processor isn’t too packed. I went ahead and used all hazelnuts and dark chocolate so it is incredibly rich and intense. It is also not overly sweet.
It may not have been perfect but for someone that can’t eat real Nutella (it contains milk powder) it was pretty damn good. It made 2 jars and one has already been devoured.
400g whole milk (I used soy milk)
60g powdered whole milk (I used soy milk powder)
pinch of salt
310g 70% chocolate
- Spread the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast for 15 minutes at 180 C/350 F. Remove the skins as best as best you can.
- Warm the milk, powdered milk salt and honey in a saucepan. Whisk constantly until just before it starts to boil. Remove from the heat.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or double boiler.
- In a food processor grind the nuts as finely as possible. Add the chocolate and keep processing. Once smooth add in the milk and process until combined.
- Pour into jars and refrigerate until set. use within one week.
adapted from David Lebovitz (makes about 2 jars)