1 cup icing sugar
2 tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
cream or milk for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C. Make the glaze by combining the icing sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Make the filling by melting the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon until melted. Set aside to cool.
- Make the dough. In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until the dough resembles crumbs (use your fingers or a pastry blender).
- In a separate small bowl combine the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour and stir until just combined. Don't over mix.
- On a floured surface knead all of the dough 3 or 4 times (add a little extra flour if necessary). Pat out half of the dough into a circle. Spread the filling evenly all over the top. Pat out the other half of the dough and place on top (you could also pat out all of the dough top with filling, roll the dough like a log and then slice).
- Cut into triangles and place each piece on a baking tray and brush the tops with cream.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Some of the filling may come out but the scones are still easily lifted off the tray.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then drizzle with icing.