Southern Biscuit Muffins with Orange Honey ButterPosted by Cupcake Kelly on Jul 19, 2012 in Muffins | 3 comments
These biscuits have an edge over all other biscuits. If you’re like me and you like your weeknight dinners to be made quickly and with few dishes as possible these babies are for you. If you love biscuits make sure to read my Southern Biscuits book review.
The batter uses typical biscuit ingredients but instead of kneading the dough on the counter which requires clean up the dough is simply scooped into a lined muffin tray for less hassle and easy clean up.
Not to mention that they taste delicious and the orange butter to spread on top can be whipped up in small bowl. I saved the leftover muffins and crumbled them in soup for lunch the next day.
2 3/4 cups flour, divided
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (225g) chilled butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 1/4 cups milk, divided
Orange Honey Butter
1/2 cup butter (112g), softened
1 tsp orange zest
2 tbs honey
- Make the biscuits. Preheat the oven to 350 F/180C and line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside the remaining 1/4 cup of milk.
- Scatter the butter over the flour and rub with your fingers or a pastry cutter until it resembles crumbly pea sized pieces.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour 1 cup of milk in the center. Mix with a spatula until the ingredients come together. If there is any unmixed flour add a few more tablespoons of the reserved milk. Add in the extra flour if the dough isn't sticky enough (don't stir the mixture too much).
- Spoon the dough into the muffin cups and bake for 35 - 40 minutes until golden brown. The muffins will have a thick crust and cake like center.
- Make the butter by mixing all the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
adapted from Southern Biscuits