I went over the top and made two sorbet recipes back to back so I decided while I was at it to make one ice cream recipe from PS Desserts too. I only bought my ice cream maker a month ago and I’ve made ice cream once or twice a week since then. I’m not sick of it yet!
I made half of this recipe and I had enough for this ice cream and cake and had some leftover. My ice cream machine isn’t very big and will turn itself off if it starts to overheat.
I had a roll of Oreos laying around that were starting to go stale so I chopped them up and added them to the ice cream at the end. If you prefer vanilla leave the cookies out.
500ml cream, minimum 37% fat (I used double cream which was probably a little too rich)
2 vanilla bean, halved and beans scraped
200g caster sugar
10 egg yolks
2 rolls of Oreo cookies, chopped
- Combine the milk cream and vanilla beans and seeds in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- In a large bowl whisk the sugar and egg yolks until pale and thick
- Pour one third of the hot cream into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until thickened. If you're not sure when it's ready heat until 80 C.
- Chill the mixture and then run through your ice cream machine. Add the crushed Oreos towards the end of churning.
adapted from PS Desserts