You may have seen the festive holiday milks nestled next to the different holiday nogs this year. I didn’t get a chance to taste them (because I already over dosed on eggnog before Thanksgiving)but I did read that they have corn syrup AND 41g of sugar per serving. I thought I could make a tastier version of the Target Snickerdoodle milk at home with a little less sugar than that.
I couldn’t decide while I was making this if I wanted it to be a milk or thicker like an eggnog. In the end I went for a hybrid between the two. I used 2% milk as the base and incorporated 2 egg yolks for a little extra creaminess.
My version isn’t healthy by any means and I’m not going to calculate calories but it’s got that homemade magic taste.
Christmas really snuck up on me this year. I sent all my cards out late, I didn’t get any presents bought and I only got my Christmas menu ready a week before Christmas. For me that’s huge! I usually get that planned months ahead of time!
I don’t know about all of you but I still feel full from Thanksgiving and after work Christmas parties. This non alcoholic beverage is still a little indulgent but without all the booze and cream for those that have already overdone it before Christmas dinner tomorrow.
2 cups 2% milk
1 cinnamon stick
pinch of ground cinnamon
1/2 vanilla pod, cut down the middle
1/4 cup sugar (scant)
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbs maple syrup
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the milk, cinnamon stick, vanilla pod and pinch of ground cinnamon.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Stir the milk until it comes to the simmer. Whisking constantly add a quarter cup of the warm milk mixture at a time to the egg yolk mixture.
- Once it's all incorporated pour the mixture back to the saucepan and turn heat to medium (don't boil) and stir for a few minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Pour through a sieve and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a pinch of cinnamon on top.
- To make the sugared rim pour the maple syrup onto a saucer and place your glass or mug rim side down and turn a few times until it's coated.
- Add the cinnamon and sugar to another saucer and repeat the same process.
- Serve once the milk is chilled.
an American Cupcake Life original recipe