I wanted to make these donuts baby pink but I had a little accident with the oven. I accidentally left it at 220 C without noticing from when I made dinner and the first batch of donuts turned brown. I thought I should add more color to the batter. Long story short…magenta Valentine’s Day donuts it is!
2 tbs unsalted butter
2 ounces (57g) white chocolate, chopped
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tbs vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
pink gel food coloring
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbs hot water
1 tbs milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F/180C (I even turned my oven down to 170 C to keep them from browning) and grease a donut pan.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate and butter on 30 second burst until melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar and egg until combined. Add the melted butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla, buttermilk, pink coloring and mix until incorporated. Gradually add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Don't over mix (dough will be a little sticky).
- Fill each hole two thirds full and bake for 7-10 minutes. Cool for a few minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool.
- Make the glaze by whisking together all of the ingredients. Add in more water for a thinner glaze. Brush over donuts once cooled. I gave my donuts two coats.
adapted from Ryan’s Baking Blog