I made these S’mores cupcakes along with the Nutella Cupcakes to take into work for a charity bake sale. I debated about making these as no one at work had any idea what a S’mores was. Whether they understand or not they still enjoyed the graham cracker cake and marshmallow frosting!
I decided to make S’mores cupcakes after I made the amazing Homemade Girl Scout Samoas cookies. I think next year I’ll have a crack at some Thin Mints!
Making Cupcakes with Lola is a really fun book and all the recipes are listed in metric as well as American measurements.
adapted from Making Cupcakes with Lola (makes 12)
120g digestive biscuits/graham crackers (plus extra for decoration) crushed finely
2 1/2 tbs melted butter
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
180g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, at room temperature
12 squares of milk chocolate
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C and line a muffin tray with paper liners. Mix 75% of the crushed graham crackers with the melted butter. Add 1 tablespoon of this mixture to the bottom of each liner.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Stir in the remaining cookie crumbs. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, sugar and vanilla for several minutes until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at time until incorporated.
4. Add in one third of the flour mixture alternating with the milk and finishing with the flour. Beat until just combined. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Make the frosting. Put the sugar, cream of tartar and 100 ml of water and heat until the sugar has dissolved and a candy thermometer readers 242 F/115 C.
6. In a separate glass bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. With the mixer on low speed slowly stream in the sugar mixture. Stir in the vanilla. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. Pipe swirls on each cupcake and roll in crushed cookie crumbs. Top each cupcake with a square of milk chocolate and a drizzle of melted chocolate.