I’m kicking off National CupcakeWeek a little early. I made these to take to work and take donations for charity in return. They went over pretty well and all 18 I brought in were gone before lunch!
I used the vanilla cupcake and frosting recipe from the Love Bakery book, but you can use your favorite vanilla recipe.
Gel food coloring will work best as it will give off a brighter color. Make sure to use a clean spoon for each color so each layer shows up. I tripled the recipe but only get 18 cupcakes.
375g unsalted butter at room temperature
375g caster sugar
4 1/2 tsp vanilla
6 eggs, at room temperature
375g self raising flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
9 tbs milk
250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
500g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbs milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C. Line the muffin tray with paper liners. In a medium bowl sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour mixture until incorporated and then add the milk.
- Scoop the batter evenly among six bowls. Weigh the batter if necessary.
- Mix in the gel color for each layer of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet). Make sure to mix well to make sure the gel is fully incorporated.
- Spoon half to three quaters of a teaspoon of each color into the cups. I did a practice cup first and I spooned to much. The cup should only be about 1/2-3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes and place on a cooling rack before frosting.
- Make the frosting by creaming the butter until light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar slowly. Beat in vanilla and milk. If necessary add in more milk one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled. Spread or pipe the frosting on each cupcake.
adapted from Love Bakery
Enjoy watching everyone ohh and ahh over the inside when they take a bite! What’s everyone making for national cupcake week 2011?