These cupcakes were fantastic. I am a huge fan of mascarpone frosting and the syrup gives them an extra lemon flavor. I made half of the recipe and got 8 cupcakes. I made all of the frosting since I like to pipe big swirls.
6 egg yolks
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
3 cups cake flour, sifted
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs + 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
12 tbs unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
2 tbs sugar
1/4 cup water
8 oz mascarpone, softened
1/4 cup + 2 tbs icing sugar
1 tsp Meyer lemon zest
4 oz butter, softened
pinch of salt
- Make the cake. Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C and line a muffin tray with paper liners. In a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the milk, vanilla and lemon zest.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Mixing on low, add the softened butter and the remaining milk to blend. Once the dry ingredients are moistened, increase speed to medium and beat for two minutes.
- Use a spatula and scrape down the side of the bowl. Slowly pour in the egg mixture and beat until well incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the liners filling them 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes until he cake springs back lightly when touched.
- While the cakes are in the oven combine all the ingredients for the syrup into a small bowl and stir together (I placed mine in a saucepan and simmered until the sugar dissolved).
- Once the cakes are out of the oven lightly brush the syrup over top each cake. Make sure it soaks in. I gave mine a second coating while they were still warm. Remove from the trays and place on a cooling rack.
- Make the frosting. In a bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter, powdered sugar, zest and salt until smooth (about 5 minutes). Add in the mascarpone and beat on low for a few seconds until smooth. If the mixture curdles warm the bowl in a water bath gently (or microwave on defrost for 10 seconds).
- Pipe a swirl onto each cake once they've cooled.
Recipe by Alyce Shields for How To Eat a Cupcake