These cupcakes were fantastic. I am a huge fan of mascarpone frosting and the syrup gives them an extra lemon flavor. I made half of the recipe and got 8 cupcakes. I made all of the frosting since I like to pipe big swirls.
Meyer Lemon Cupcakes
by Alyce Shields for How To Eat a Cupcake (makes 12 cupcakes)
6 egg yolks
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
3 cups cake flour, sifted
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs + 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
12 tbs unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
2 tbs sugar
1/4 cup water
8 oz mascarpone, softened
1/4 cup + 2 tbs icing sugar
1 tsp Meyer lemon zest
4 oz butter, softened
pinch of salt
1. Make the cake. Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C and line a muffin tray with paper liners. In a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the milk, vanilla and lemon zest.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients.
3. Mixing on low, add the softened butter and the remaining milk to blend. Once the dry ingredients are moistened, increase speed to medium and beat for two minutes.
4. Use a spatula and scrape down the side of the bowl. Slowly pour in the egg mixture and beat until well incorporated.
5. Scoop the batter into the liners filling them 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes until he cake springs back lightly when touched.
6. While the cakes are in the oven combine all the ingredients for the syrup into a small bowl and stir together (I placed mine in a saucepan and simmered until the sugar dissolved).
7. Once the cakes are out of the oven lightly brush the syrup over top each cake. Make sure it soaks in. I gave mine a second coating while they were still warm. Remove from the trays and place on a cooling rack.
8. Make the frosting. In a bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter, powdered sugar, zest and salt until smooth (about 5 minutes). Add in the mascarpone and beat on low for a few seconds until smooth. If the mixture curdles warm the bowl in a water bath gently (or microwave on defrost for 10 seconds).
9. Pipe a swirl onto each cake once they’ve cooled.