These are the first treat from my new Cupcake Book Club. The first book is Semi Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes. The main character in the novel, Hannah, opens a cupcake shop in a small Irish town. My treats are inspired by two factors from the novel. The setting, Ireland, and the second, my favorite line in the book, “sexy buns”.
One of the characters, Wally, refers to Hannah’s cupcakes as “sexy buns”. I decided to make chocolate espresso cupcakes with a hint of whiskey and topped with a Bailey’s and Caramel buttercream.
I promise they looked very sexy before the the chocolate stopped cooperating and sploshed everywhere!
There’s still time to read the book and enter your sweet treat by May 9th.
Irish Cream Caramel Cupcakes
Cupcakes adapted from Tea with Bea (makes 10-12 cupcakes)
112g unsalted butter
2 shots of espresso
55g cocoa powder
100g caster sugar
110g dark brown sugar
3tbs Bourbon (I used whiskey to make it more Irish)
1/2 tsp vanilla
140g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
225g unsalted butter, softened
3 tbs caramel
400g icing sugar, sifted
3 tbs Irish Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C. Line a muffin tray with paper liners. In a saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Once melted whisk in the espresso and cocoa powder. Add the sugar, brown sugar, egg and whisk thoroughly.
2. Stir in the vanilla and whiskey and set aside.
3. Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into a mixing bowl.
4. Slowly stir the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
5. Fill liners two thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes until a a cake tester comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.
6. Make the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter until light and creamy. Add the caramel and beat until combined,
7. Add in half of the sifted icing sugar and beat on high speed. Add the rest of the icing sugar and slowly stream in the Irish cream and beat until fluffy.
8. Pipe or spread the frosting on top of each cupcake. Drizzle the tops with melted chocolate and caramel.