I wanted to squeeze in one more baby themed dessert before the big day comes! I’m seriously counting down these last four weeks. It will be nice to not struggle to put my socks on in the morning and be able to walk up the stairs again.
I will miss the little baby kicks though. He’s been very active this week. You can see his head and feet moving along my stomach. It’s a little freaky but I love it!
I made these cupcakes to take into work the day I had lunch with all my co workers. I made funfetti cupcakes, topped with a marshmallow frosting that I tinted baby blue. I dipped the cupcakes in some sugar cookie candy melts. I added some rainbow sprinkles to the melts as well since they came flecked with only red and greed.
These would also make cute gender reveal cupcakes!
I’ve made seven minute frosting before for Coconut Hi Hats and Sundae Cupcakes but this time my egg whites would not cooperate and I had to make the marshmallow three times before it turned out right.
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1 egg, at room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick unsalted butter (cut into 4 pieces), at room temperature
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
3/4 cups plus 1 tbs sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tbs light corn syrup (I used golden syrup)
3 egg whites, at room temperature
1 bag candy melts
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg whites, egg, 1/4 cup of the milk and the vanilla. Set aside.
- Add the butter and 1/4 cup of the milk to the flour mixture and beat on low until moist. Increase speed to medium and beat for one minute.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture in three additions, beating and scraping down the bowl after each. Fold in the sprinkles.
- Fill each liner 3/4 full and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on top (my cupcakes needed about 30 minutes but I overfilled them a little).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar with the water and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Clip a candy thermometer to the side. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil without stirring until syrup reaches 230 F.
- While the sugar is boiling whisk the egg whites in a large bowl on medium high speed until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, beating to combine.
- As soon as the syrup reaches 230 F remove from heat. With mixer on medium low speed, pour syrup down the side of bowl in a slow, steady stream. Raise speed to medium high, whisk until mixture is completely cool (touch the bottom of the bowl to feel) and stiff (not dry) about 7 minutes. It will look like marshmallow.
- Pour the marshmallow into a piping bag and put a swirl on each cupcake. In a microwave safe bowl melt the candy melts on a low heat at 30 seconds bursts until melted. Use a few tablespoons of vegetable oil to thin if necessary.
- Dip each cupcake into the candy melts. I put all the cupcakes in the freezer for about 10 minutes to set.
adapted from the Blonde Buckeye and Martha Stewart