I never considered using my cast iron skillet to make dessert before. Sometimes I think I really lack common sense. I’ve always drooled over these skillet desserts and wished I had one. This whole time I had a skillet in my cupboard.
I guess I never thought of using it for desserts since it’s a grill skillet not flat. It doesn’t make a difference though. A skillet is a skillet. This is a great dessert. I took about ten minutes to get the batter together and a pretty short baking time. So delicious when served warm. Between the two of us we ate the whole thing in one day!
Be careful when taking the skillet out of the oven. It’s very heavy and will be very hot.
1 stick (113g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbs vanilla
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 tso baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C/ Lightly grease a large cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and the egg.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in to the wet ingredients until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand. Spread the mixture evenly in the skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cookie is light golden brown.
- Let cool slightly, cut into squares and serve with ice cream.
I only needed to bake my cookie for about 15 minutes.
Adapted from Recipe Girl