Pretzel Shortbread Sandwich CookiesPosted by Cupcake Kelly on Apr 22, 2015 in Cookies, z | 0 comments
These cookies are major. I mean MAJOR. Chocolate, intense, salty, crazy cookies. I understand why the recipe book they came from is called Cookie Love.
These cookies are so intense most people could only eat one. I brought the whole batch down to Knoxville to share with the family for Easter. These are comprised of dark chocolate pretzel shortbread cookie sandwiched with a browned butter chocolate salted caramel buttercream, dipped in chocolate and topped with crushed pretzel pieces.
Now you can understand why these cookies are so intense. The recipe is not for the faint hearted either. I made a few adaptations to the recipe since i stink at making cut out cookies. For the original you’ll have to check out the book. These cookies are completely worth the effort they require.
2 cups salted pretzel nuggets
2 cups AP flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey special dark)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sea salt flakes
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
2 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
8 ounces milk chocolate, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
1/3 cup caramel (I used some store bought)
8 ounces dark chocolate
Crushed pretzel nuggets, for coating
- Make the shortbread first. Grind the pretzel nuggets until they are the size of bread crumbs. Pulse in the cocoa powder, flour and both salts.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer mix the butter on medium speed for a few seconds. Add in the sugar and cream for about 5 minutes. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Place the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Roll and shape into a log and twist the ends closed. Refrigerate overnight until firm. To get perfectly round re roll the log after it slightly firms up in the fridge (I hate rolling and cutting cookies so this is my own slice and bake version).
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Cut the cookies 1/4 inch thick and bake for 12-15 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely before removing from the tray,
- Make the frosting. In a small saucepan over medium low heat. Cook the butter until golden brown and nutty. Remove from the heat before the milk solids burn. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until solid.
- Add the butter to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed for a few seconds. Add in the sugar and beat for about five minutes until light and fluffy. Add in the chocolate, vanilla, salts and caramel.
- Sandwich a scoop of frosting between cookies. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and dip half of each sandwich cookie. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet to set and sprinkle with crushed pretzels.
adapted from Cookie Love