I prefer chocolate cookies but I’ve been trying extra hard to be nice to my husband since he took me to Greece this week! One of Alex’s favorite desserts is Linzer Bars. I bought some nifty Linzer cookie cutters at Cake International .
It was the least I could do to soften the blow of all the purchases I made that day! Instead of the traditional almonds the cookies have pecans ground into the dough.
I used cherry jam to sandwich in the middle buy you can use your favorite kind.
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup pecans, toasted
2 tbs icing sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold cut into cubes
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup jam
- Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl and set aside. Pulse pecans, icing sugar, salt and cinnamon in a food processor until ground.
- Pour into a large bowl. Add the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and the egg. Turn the speed to low and the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Wrap the dough into two discs and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C. Roll out the disc on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thick. Cur out 2 inch squares or circles. On half cut out the center with a fruit, heart or other shape.
- Place on a baking sheet and place 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Once cool sprinkle the window half's with icing sugar and sandwich the pairs with jam
adapted from Martha Stewart Cookies