Just last week when I made malted chocolate chip cookies I was saying I was trying to find interesting and different variations on chocolate chip cookies.
Instead of using butter the recipe uses olive oil. I wasn’t sure that the cookies would keep their shape. Not only did they stay perfectly round they were awesomely soft.
The olive oil, the salt and the chocolate chips are great accompaniments for each other.
Besides the slightly different texture than with butter I wouldn’t say that the olive oil gave the cookies a strong flavor. It probably depends on the brand and type. I didn’t use anything too strong.
2 1/2 cups AP flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer beat together the olive oil and sugars for 2-3 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time. Add in the vanilla.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture with the mixer running on low. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place rounds onto the baking sheet two inches apart sprinkle with the sea salt and bake for 10-12 minutes. Place on a cooling rack.