Sugar cookies have never been on the top of my list when it comes to cookies but these definitely aren’t the kind that come around at Christmas and Easter in funny shapes.
This is another recipe from Milk & Cookies. There’s not many photographs in the book but all the recipes have been fabulous.I halved the recipe this time since the full recipe made 4 dozen last time.
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
6 ounces/170g unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup + 1/8 cup/124g caster sugar
1 egg yolk at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbs milk
1 cup M&M's or mini M&M's
1/4 cup sugar (for rolling)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F/180 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a non stick tray). In a small bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar.
- In a large bowl cream the butter for a few minutes until creamy. Slowly add the sugar and beat for 2 minutes. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add half of the flour and the milk until well blended. Add the rest of the flour but only slightly blend it.
- Pour the M&M's into the half blended mixture.
- Lightly flour a surface and gently knead together the rest of the flour and M&M's. Don't knead too much.
- Using a cookie scoop make a ball of dough and roll it in your hands to make it smooth.
- Flatten it gently with your hand to make a puck.
- Pour the 1/4 cup of sugar on a plate and roll the puck so it's covered in sugar.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough. Place each puck 2 inches apart on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until the edges are slightly brown. Leave for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack.