It’s a sad fact but Graham Crackers don’t exist in the UK. If I want a graham cracker I have to buy a box imported for about £6 or make due with digestives. Digestives do the trick for pie crusts but nothing can replace a graham cracker in a s’mores.
As part of my S’mores week I decided to make my own from scratch. This is a big deal for me because I hate rolling out cookie dough. I decided for the heck of it to make the cookies circle instead of the traditional square.
I used a recipe from Smitten Kitchen that uses whole wheat flour and not graham flour. I sprinkled the tops with some course raw sugar.
2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
7 tbs butter. frozen
1/3 cup honey
5 tbs milk
2 tsp vanilla
3 tbs course sugar (for the topping)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or food processor combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Pulse on low speed. Add the butter and pulse on and off until the mixture becomes course.
- In a small bowl mix together the milk, honey and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture and pulse until the mixture becomes sticky.
- Warp the dough in flour dusted cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours minimum (best is overnight).
- Split the dough in half. Roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment in a rectangle to 1/8th inch thick and sprinkle with the sugar. Trim edges and cut into strips or use your favorite cookie cutter.
- Repeat with the second round of dough. Chill the cut outs until firm and re roll any scraps.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C and prick the dough with two rows of dots. Bake for 15-20 minutes until browned, rotating the tray half way through.
adapted from Smitten Kitchen