Cookie Dough Breakfast RollsPosted by Cupcake Kelly on Jul 6, 2011 in Bread, Chocolate, Cookies | 13 comments
4 1/2 - 5 cups plain flour
1 package dry yeast
1 cup milk
1/3 cup unsalted butter, cold cut into cubes
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup plain flour
6 tbs brown sugar
9 tbs sugar
6 tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbs milk
pinch of salt
pinch of baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbs milk
- Start by making the dough. In a large bowl mix 2 1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- In a small saucepan heat the milk, butter, milk, sugar and salt until just warm and the butter is almost melted.
- Pour the milk mixture slowly into the flour with the mixer on low speed. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition.
- Switch the paddle attachment to the dough hook and knead in the remaining 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups flour until the dough is smooth and elastic about 5 minutes.
- Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in size. I did 45 minutes flipped the ball over and let it rise for another 45 minutes.
- Make the cookie dough filling while the dough is rising by mixing the butter, brown sugar and sugar together. Stir in the vanilla and milk. Mix in the flour, salt and baking soda until combined.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and place on the counter. Punch it down and cover with a tea towel for 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 12 inch square. Spread the cookie dough evenly over the dough.
- Roll the dough into a log and pinch the ends together.
- Slice the log into 8-10 pieces (not too big as the pieces will rise significantly).
- Place the pieces into a rectangular baking pan. Cover and chill the dough overnight.
- Take the rolls out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before ready to bake.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Brush the tops of the dough with a little milk or cream and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Make the glaze by mixing the icing sugar and milk together and drizzling over top each bun.