One of the best things about Outsider Tart is the Late Night Cookie Bar held each Thursday night. At 6pm all the brownies and other treats are put away and David makes a selection of cookies as well as a “blue plate” special. I went a few weeks ago and had the best bowl of chili in my life.
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cocoa powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tbs cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 200 C and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each. Stir in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture slowly. Stop mixing once all the flour is combined.
- Using a cookie scoop make a ball until it weights 5 ounces/150g, which is massive! You can make them smaller but this book is all about American baking, and bigger is better!
- Make the sugar mixture by stirring all the ingredients together in a bowl and rolling the cookie dough ball in it.
- Place the dough ball on one of the baking sheets and gently squish it down with the palm of your hand till it is about 1 inch thick. Only place 4 on each baking sheet with plenty of space between each.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes and let cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.Enjoy your giant cookies!