I’m baking a lot of new things this Christmas. I made my first batch of fudge and homemade hot chocolate. I’ve seen a lot of biscotti the last few years and I decided I would make my first batch this year.
Watch this video on making biscotti. I should have watched this first. Mine came out not quite the right shape.
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick 113g unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup crushed candy canes or Andes peppermint chips
14 ounces dark or white chocolate, melted
extra chips or crushed candy canes for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Stir in the flour mixture and peppermint chips. On a lightly floured surface split the dough into 2 or 3 pieces and roll each piece into a log shape.
- Place the logs a few inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Lightly press down to flatten to logs
- Bake for 18 minutes and remove from the oven. Cut off the ends and cut diagonally into 1 1/2 inch slices.
- Lower the temperature on the oven to 325 F/160 C and bake for 12 more minutes.
- Cool completely and dip one end of each biscotti into the melted chocolate and sprinkle with a few more chips.
- To give as a gift place a few biscotti in a jar or cellophane bag and tie with a festive ribbon
adapted from Culinary in the Country