Stephanie Plum Pineapple Upside Down CakePosted by Cupcake Kelly on Dec 9, 2011 in Cake | 7 comments
I’ve spent the last few months engrossed in reading the l8 Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. Stephanie plum is a hapless bounty hunter that loves donuts, butterscotch TastyKakes and her mother’s pineapple upside down cake.
I’m really excited about the movie of the first novel, “One for the Money“, coming out in January 2012.
I made my cake twice as thick as called for and with a toffee and meted butter glaze instead of the traditional brown sugar topping. I think Stephanie would approve!
Don’t let Joe Morelli get his hands on your cake!
1/4 cup light corn syrup or golden syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup Toffee Pieces
6 Pineapple rings
6 Maraschino cherries
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 tbs rum or rum extract
2 2/3 cup plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 cup milk
fresh whipped cream (for serving)
- Heat oven to 350 F/180 C and lightly grease the sides of an 8 inch springform cake tin.
- In a small bowl stir together the corn syrup and melted butter. Pour into the bottom of the cake tin and sprinkle the toffee pieces over top.
- Arrange the pineapple rings and place a cherry in each ring.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl until blended. Add the eggs and rum, beating well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour and baking soda.
- Add the flour alternately with the milk to the butter mixture, beating until smooth.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Using oven mitts place a serving plate on top of the pan and flip over. Remove the sides of the pan and then the bottom (which is now the top).
- Serve right away with some home whipped cream!
adapted from Hershey’s Recipe Collection