I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the bundt cake I had when I went to Arizona at Nothing Bundt Cakes. I decided to have a go at making my own praline pecan bundt cake since the one I had was so amazing.
150g unsalted pecans
1 egg white (save the yolk for the cake)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tbs water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbs cinnamon (I like a lot cinnamon)
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 sticks + 2 tbs (257g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 eggs + 1 yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coffee, cooled to room temperature (I used about 1 tsp espresso powder in 1/2 cup hot water)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon-
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tsp milk (add a few more if it's too thick)
- Make the nuts. Pre heat the oven to 250F/120 C. In one sandwich bag pour the egg white, vanilla and water. In a second pour the sugar, salt and cinnamon. Pour the nuts in the egg white bag and give it a good shake. Pour the nuts into the sugar bag and shake.
- Pour onto a baking tray (make sure to line it with a silpat mat).
- Bake for 45 minutes. After each 15 minutes take out of the oven and toss the nuts.
- Start the cake. Pre heat the oven to 350 F/180 C and grease and flour a bundt tin. In a small bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and yolk one at a time.
- Mix in the vanilla. Add in the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating. Stir in the cooled coffee. Don't over mix. Fold in the pecans.
- Make the praline swirl mixture by mixing the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon together in a small bowl and then stirring in the melted butter.
- Scoop one third of the cake batter into the bundt tin. Sprinkle half of the praline swirl mixture over top. Add another third of the batter on top, sprinkle the rest of the praline swirl mixture in and scoop the last of the cake batter on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour ( baked mine for about 75 minutes). Insert a cake tester in the middle to make sure it's cooked all the way through. Let cool for 10 minutes and then carefully flip over and gently tap the top to release the cake.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the icing sugar and milk in a small bowl. Once the cake has cooled spread the glaze all over the cake with a pastry brush.