I know a cake is a winner when I get one slice and the rest mysteriously disappears! I made this cake in a pinch for a Saturday night after I had an epic fail with a pumpkin coffee cake. Such a simple cake but It’s one of my new favorite recipes.
This is the second cake I made from Bake It Like You Mean It. I love this book. The cakes are like pieces of art. My rainbow cake is a masterpiece and this cake tastes like a dream. It looks super tiny because I made half of the recipe, which was perfect for two people.
I love the way the cake looks when it’s finished. I think it looks like a giant sugared cake donut. I recommend serving the cake warm. It’s a beautiful warm sugared fluffy cloud.
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 tbs cocoa powder
1/4 cup coffee, hot
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
6 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup creme fraiche (I used yogurt)
1 tbs vanilla bean paste
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C and spray a 10 cup bundt pan with baking spray. Place the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in a microwave safe bowl and pour the hot coffee over top. Leave for 5 minutes and then stir. If not completely melted than microwave at 50% power.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for 10 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape the the sides and bottom of the bowl and add the eggs one at a time.
- In a small bowl mix together the creme fraiche and vanilla bean paste. Add into the egg mixture until fully combined.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time. Pour half of the batter into another bowl and stir in the chocolate mixture.
- pour half the vanilla batter into the prepared pan. Spoon all of the chocolate batter over top. Spread the remaining vanilla batter on top. Run a knife in a swirling pattern through the batter to create a marble effect. Bake for 1 hour until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- When the cake is still warm invert the pan over your serving platter. Brush the butter all over and immediately sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
I made half the recipe and baked for 30 minutes.
adapted from Bake It Like You Mean It