In England sandwiches get a bad rep because they tend to be quite boring and mainstream like Pret. I’ve already made the famous Pittsburgh sandwich The Primanti.
There are plenty of other dessert sandwiches and the other ideas range from a simple PB&J to the funny Spaghetti Sandwich and to more worldly sandwiches like a Vietnamese Banh Mi. I am absolutely making one of the breakfast sandwiches from this book next!
270g light brown sugar
200g mashed banana
280g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1tsp ground ginger
140g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup chocolate chips or nuts (optional)
200g full fat cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbs maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2-3 bananas sliced
- Preheat the oven to 170 C and grease a loaf pan (or line with parchment paper). In a large bowl beat together the sugar and eggs until combined. Add in the mashed bananas.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger to the sugar mixture. When all combined pour in the melted butter and beat until mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips or nuts if desired.
- Transfer batter to the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour until skew inserted in middle comes out clean.Once cooled cut into slices.
- Make the cream cheese spread by stirring together the cream cheese, cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup until combined.
- When ready to serve butter both sides of the bread and place in a hot pan for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove and spread cream cheese on one side and top with a few banana slices.
- Store any leftover cream cheese in a sealed container.