–I spent the last bank holiday before Christmas in Bournemouth visiting my in laws. On the last day we had a giant BBQ and my father in law rotisseried two chickens, grilled sausages and my mother in law made loads of side dishes.
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
8 ounces/225g chopped dark chocolate (I used Green & Blacks 70%)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C and grease and flour a loaf tin.
- Whisk the flour, brown sugar, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, oil and buttermilk.
- Slowly pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Make sure to reach the bottom of the bowl.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate and pour the batter into the greased loaf tin. Bake for 1 hour until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and flip over and remove from pan. Let cool completely before slicing.