I love bizarre food days and holidays. It seems every week it’s national s’mores day or peanut butter week. The good thing is that when I chose to participate I always end up making something new and exciting!
Pi Day is tomorrow, 3/14, and in celebration I made these adorable mini cherry pie pops! I’ve had pie pops on my list for about two years and Pi Day seemed like the perfect time to stop putting it off.
They’re so cute and they taste like mini pop tarts. Make sure to chop the cherries into small pieces so the pies don’t bulge too much. I spread the glaze on the back of the pops as the front had a bit a bump. I wanted to cram as much fruit in there as possible.
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
3 tbs sugar
2 tbs cornstarch/cornflour
2 tbs water
1/2 tsp almond extract
Sweet shortcrust pastry (homemade or store bought)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-2 tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 200 C/400 F. In a small saucepan combine the cherries, sugar, cornflour, water and almond extract. Heat over medium low and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Roll out the pastry and slice into rectangles 1 1/2 inches wide and 2 inches long.
- Place a Popsicle stick on top of one rectangle and place 1 teaspoon of filling in the center. Place another rectangle over top. Seal the edges using the prongs of a fork.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are brown.
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Brush on the pops once they've cooled down.
- Be amazed by their cuteness.
adapted from Foodista