Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream SandwichesPosted by Cupcake Kelly on Mar 28, 2012 in Brownies & Squares | 2 comments
I never thought to make my own ice cream sandwiches before. They didn’t take a whole lot of effort either! The weather is warming up and these are a perfect treat to enjoy on a sunny day.
The recipe comes from Sweetie. Click here to read the review. I used a carton of vanilla dairy free ice cream and added peppermint extract, chocolate chunks and green color to make it mint chocolate chip.
I had a lot of trouble with the two brownie layers. It was far too brittle and fell apart when I was trying to remove it from the pan. I decided to take another approach since I was getting so frustrated. I crumbled both layers up into a bowl and pressed half into the bottom of the pan and poured the ice cream on top. I popped it in the freezer for about an hour and then gently pressed in the last brownie crumbs on top.
125g unsalted butter
125g 70% dark chocolate
110g caster sugar
95g brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
75g flour, sifted
1 litre mint chocolate chip ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease and line two 7x7 inch baking pan (I used an 8x8). In a double boiler melt the chocolate and butter. Set aside to cool.
- Place the butter, sugars, eggs, mint extract in a large bowl for 5 minutes until light and creamy.
- Add the chocolate mixture and beat until combined. Then add in the flour. Pour into the two prepared pans and bake for 12-14 minutes. Let cool before inverting on a sheet of cling film.
- Place the ice cream in the refrigerator to soften. Place the sheet of brownie on the cling film into one of the pans. Spread the ice cream over top and place the other brownie layer on top. bring the sides of the cling film over the top and freeze for minimum 5 hours.If you crumble the brownie after spreading the ice cream freeze for an hour before pressing in the top layer.
- Slice into squares. I wrapped each square individually in cling film.
adapted from Sweetie