Kit Kat & Caramelized Cocoa Krispie BrowniesPosted by Cupcake Kelly on Oct 15, 2014 in Brownies & Squares, z | Comments Off on Kit Kat & Caramelized Cocoa Krispie Brownies
It’s amazing what a difference a piece of wood and a different window have made in my pictures! When I was in London I didn’t have the space for this kind of prop and in Connecticut I didn’t have great light. I’m not a great photographer. I pretty much just play with the dials on my camera to get the shot I want. I want to learn more but haven’t had the time since I have so many other hobbies! Now that I’ve improved on two important elements, color and light, my photos instantly look better. My favorite photo I’ve taken so far is being posted next week.
When I first started flicking through Extreme Brownies I thought it was a little OTT. I mean, how many things can you shove into a brownie? Apparently a lot more than just peanut butter and caramel. This chocolate fudgy Kit Kat stuffed brownie is probably one of my top three favorites of all time! You can still taste the crispy wafers after the brownies have been baked and even after a few days.
The book calls for a chocolate frosting to go on top of the brownies but I thought they were already so good that I simply melted some chocolate and spread it all over on top so the Cocoa Krispies would adhere to the tops of the brownies. I did nearly burn down the house while I melted the sugar for the topping! I was poking the brownies with a skewer and when I turned around there was smoke all over the place from coming from the stovetop. Oops!
I love all the textures and tastes going on in this brownie. Soft, sweet, crispy and poppy. These are definitely a great way to use up leftover Halloween candy or cereal hanging around in the pantry.
2 sticks unsalted butter
3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 eight oz bag of Mini Kit Kats
1 1/2 cups Cocoa Krispie cereal
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbs water
1 tsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
4oz baking chocolate (dark or milk your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F line a 9x13 baking tin with aluminum foil and grease. In a small saucepan melt the butter and both kinds of chocolate. Once melted and smooth turn off the heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugars, salt, eggs and vanilla. Stir in the melted chocolate. Stir in the flour and baking powder until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and gently press in the Kit Kats 1/2 an inch away from the sides. With a spatula spread the remaining batter on top of the Kit Kats.
- Bake for 28 minutes (mine needed about 35 minutes but I used a 9x9 inch pan). Transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the brownies cool make the Cocoa Krispie brittle. Line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper. In a small saucepan combine the sugar, water and salt. Stir to combine and bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and gently simmer for about 5 minutes until the sugar turns amber. Remove from the heat and stir in the cereal. Quickly spread it onto the prepared pan and leave to set.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate on low heat at 30 second bursts. Add in a drop of vegetable oil if it's too thick. Spread over the top of the brownies and then press the Cocoa Krispie clusters on top.
adapted from Extreme Brownies