Brown Butter M&M BrookiesPosted by Cupcake Kelly on Aug 27, 2013 in Brownies & Squares | 9 comments
So the big day is only four days away! I can’t believe that it’s really happening and that I’m actually leaving London. It still doesn’t feel real. I don’t think it will sink in until we’ve moved into our new rental house. I’m so excited to go shopping and kit out our new place. It’s going to be expensive but I’m hoping to invest in some nice kitchen equipment that will last for many years.
At the moment I’m fretting about what color Kitchenaid I want to get. It was very sad to sell my Tangerine one but I’m debating between Watermelon, Cornflour Blue and Majestic Yellow. I want to get a color that I love but one that will also look nice in every kitchen. We’ll only be living in our rental house for a year. There will only be one post a week for the next few weeks while we move in the house and I have some basic equipment.
I’ll post exciting updates as we go on our journey!
I’m really proud that I planned our move down to the very last detail (you have no idea how complicated an overseas move is). That includes making sure that nearly none of our food stock went to waste. We’re weren’t allowed to pack any in the crate that’s currently in Barking waiting to cross the Atlantic. Several months ago I started using all of my baking stash and I used the last of my mini M&M’s to make some brookies! To supe them up a little I browned the butter and used extra dark cocoa powder. Check out the original from Bakingdom. She put frosting on hers!
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbs unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mini M&M's
1/2 dark cocoa powder (I used Hershey Special Extra Dark)
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C and grease an 9x9 inch brownie pan generously. Start with the cookie layer. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the melted butter and brown sugar. Add in the egg and vanilla. Pour in the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the mini M&M's. Press into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Start on the brownie layer as soon as this goes in the oven.
- Make the brownie layer. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place the butter into a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally and the butter should start to foam. Remove from the heat once brown flecks start to form. It should smell nutty (be careful not to burn it). Whisk in the sugar until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the butter and sugar mixture until combined and glossy. Pour the brownie mixture on top of the cookie mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes (I like my brownies on the fudgey side).
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
adapted from Bakingdom