This recipe is for this month’s Cupcake Book Club. I made a recipe from How to Bake a Perfect Life. This is a cross between cake and a bread. I’m leaning towards calling it a sweet bread rather than a cake however. It’s intensely dark brown and thick but not dry.
The raspberries hidden in the loaf are a sweet surprise. Next time I make this I would definitely add more than the one cup the recipe calls for.
In the book Ramona makes this bread after reuniting with the love of her life twenty years after they first met. The bread symbolizes the light and tenderness of their relationship.
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup dark honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange extract
2 tsp grated orange zest
1 cup raspberries
1/2 cup slivered toasted almonds
juice of one orange
- Preheat to the oven to 325 F/160 C and grease and 9 x5 loaf tin.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, honey, extracts and zest.
- Add the eggs in one at a time. Pour in the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the raspberries and almonds by hand.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool and then place the bread on a wire rack. Mix the orange juice and enough powdered sugar to make a glaze. Drizzle all over the loaf.
adapted from How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O’Neal